Private Reports / Certificates – Non-NHS Fees

If you request work that is not provided for under the terms of the NHS Primary Care Services contract, your GP may be happy to undertake such work for you, but, as this is a private service, you will incur a charge for completion of your request. Our priority is NHS work. Non-NHS work is charged in line with British Medical Association Guidelines.

The NHS provides most health care free of charge. However there are a number of other services for which fees can be charged. These are mainly for services not covered by the NHS, such as medical reports for insurance companies.

Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge their own NHS patients are:

  • accident/sickness certificates for insurance purposes
  • school fee and holiday insurance certificates
  • reports for health clubs to certify that patients are fit to exercise
  • private prescriptions for travel purposes

Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge other institutions are:

  • life assurance and income protection reports for insurance companies
  • reports for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in connection with
  • disability living allowance and attendance allowance
  • medical reports for local authorities in connection with adoption and fostering

What will I be charged?

We will advise patients in advance if they will be charged, and what the fee will be. The surgery has a list of fees based on these suggested fees which is available on request.

Gun Licence Applications

The practice no longer participates in the completion of any applications for gun licences under any circumstances.

We cannot recommend a particular provider that can help with this, but details of services can be found online by searching ‘firearms or shotgun medicals’.