As you will be aware, there has been considerable discussion in the press and in our practices around this year’s flu vaccination delivery programme because of the implications from COVID. The government strongly advises that everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination takes up the offer to avoid widespread flu outbreaks while we continue to deal with the Coronavirus.
Over 65 years (patients who are 65 up to 31/3/21)
You do not have to call reception and book an appointment. All patients will be sent a letter. You must bring the letter to your appointment.
We will be holding ‘drop in’ flu clinics at:
The Wesley Centre
Walkden Methodist Church
Manchester Road East
Walkden M38 9AN
These will be held on:
- Thursday 26th November 15:30 – 17:30
- Wednesday 9th December 10:00 – 12:00
Please note you do not need an appointment; please arrive at the centre in between one of the above times. If you have been shielding we recommend you attend during the last hour of a session as this should be a quieter time.
18 to 64 years ‘at risk patients’
If you are in a clinical ‘at risk’ group such as Asthma, COPD, CKD, Liver Disease, Neurological Disease, Diabetes, Immunosuppressed, pregnant or a carer.
You do not have to call reception and book an appointment. All patients will be sent a text message or letter.
We will be holding ‘drop in’ flu clinics, please see information above.
Child Flu Vaccine
Children who are aged 2 or 3 on 31 August 2020 and also children aged 6 months to 17 years in an ‘at risk’ group are eligible for the nasal spray at the surgery.
Please call reception to book your child an appointment.
Please note we can only vaccinate children aged 2 or 3 (on 31.8.20) or children in an ‘at risk’ group. We cannot vaccinate children that are eligible for a vaccine through their school. If your child misses the vaccine at school you will need to contact the school to rearrange.
Any persons who shares a residence with a shielding patient.
If you were on the Shielded list and someone lives with you permanently they are eligible for a free flu vaccine. Please contact the surgery for more information.
A programme for patients aged 50-64 years is also being planned for this year; however we are awaiting further guidance from the government on how and when this will be delivered. Patients over 50 and not usually in an ‘at-risk’ group must await further instructions from their practices. It is anticipated that this may start to be offered from November.
Please follow these instructions when attending for your vaccine
- Attend on your own unless you need help in mobilising.
- Please do not bring children with you to your appointment.
- Walk to the centre/surgery if you are able to, to avoid congestion. If you do need to drive, please be considerate of the neighbours if you park in the local area to avoid congestion.
- Please wear a face covering. If you are exempt from wearing a mask, please be prepared to provide evidence of this before gaining entry to the centre.
- We encourage you not to touch anything in the centre/surgery, if possible please bring your own hand sanitiser to use should you wish to.
- Please follow the instructions for queuing (Wesley Centre). The queue will be controlled to ensure social distancing. If you are in a wheelchair or have very limited mobility, please make yourself know to a member of staff who will be wearing a luminous yellow jacket.
- If it is raining on the day, please come prepared with an umbrella as the queue will be outside for a short period of time.
- There will be no chairs available to sit while waiting and you will not be able to sit whilst having the vaccination (for infection control). If you think you will struggle with this, please speak to a member of staff on arrival.
- Wear clothing which makes it easy to expose your upper arm. The vaccinations will be given in areas with no space to remove or place layers of clothing.
- Please heed the instructions of the staff who are supervising the patient flow – they are there for your safety (Wesley Centre).
Do not attend if you or any members of your household have symptoms of coronavirus, or if you have been told to isolate. Contact us the following week and we will rebook you when you are able to leave isolation.
If you wish to decline
If you do not wish to be vaccinated please go on our website, complete our ask the practice a question form and let us know so that we can update our records and remove your from our recall list.